Importance of phospholipids
· They form the structural components of membrane and regulate membrane permeability.
· They play an important role in cellular respiration.
· They participate in the absorption of fat from the intestine.
· They act as surface tension lowering agent.
· They are essential components of bile where they act as detergents and help in the solubilisation of cholesterol.
· They also participate in blood clotting.
· They protect and insulate the neuronal fibres of myelin sheath.
· They are involved in the interaction of hormones with receptors.
· They can act as lipotropic agents and prevent fatty liver formation.
· They help in the reverse transport of cholesterol.