31. Give the general characteristics of organic compounds?
32. Describe the classification of organic compounds based on their structure.
33. Write a note on homologous series.
34. What is meant by a functional group? Identify the functional group in the following compounds.
(b) oxalic acid
(c) di methyl ether
35. Give the general formula for the following classes of organic compounds
a) Aliphatic monohydric alcohol
b) Aliphatic ketones.
c) Aliphatic amines.
36. Write the molecular formula of the first six members of homologous series of nitro alkanes.
37. Write the molecular and possible structural formula of the first four members of homologous series of carboxylic acids.
38. Give the IUPAC names of the following compounds.
(viii) 5-oxohexanoic acid
(xi) 2- methyl-1-phenylpropan-1-amine
(xii) 2,2- dimethyl-4oxopentanenitrile
39. Give the structure for the following compound.
i. 3- ethyl - 2 methyl -1-pentene
ii. 1,3,5- Trimethyl cyclohex - 1 -ene
iii. tertiary butyl iodide
iv. 3 - Chlorobutanal
v. 3 - Chlorobutanol
vi. 2 - Chloro - 2- methyl propane
viii. 3 - methylbut -1- ene
ix. Butan - 2, 2 - diol
x. Octane - 1,3- diene
xi. 1,5- Dimethylcyclohexane
xii. 2-Chlorobut - 3 - ene
xiii. 2 - methylbutan - 3 - ol
40. Describe the reactions involved in the detection of nitrogen in an organic compound by Lassaigne method.
41. Give the principle involved in the estimation of halogen in an organic compound by carius method.
42. Give a brief description of the principles of i) Fractional distillation ii) Column Chromatography
43. Explain paper chromatography
44. Explain varions types of constitutional isomerism (structural isomerism) in organic compounds
45. Describe optical isomerism with suitable example.
46. Briefly explain geometrical isomerism in alkene by considering 2- butene as an example.
47. 0.30 g of a substance gives 0.88 g of carbon dioxide and 0.54 g of water calculate the percentage of carbon and hydrogen in it.
48. The ammonia evolved form 0.20 g of an organic compound by kjeldahl method neutralised 15ml of N/20 sulphare acid solution. Calculate the percentage of Nitrogen.
49. 0.32 g of an organic compound, after heating with fuming nitric acid and barium nitrate crystals is a sealed tube game 0.466 g of barium sulphate. Determine the percentage of sulphur in the compound.
50. 0.24g of an organic compound gave 0.287 g of silver chloride in the carius method. Calculate the percentage of chlorine in the compound.
51. In the estimation of nitrogen present in an organic compound by Dumas method 0.35 g yielded 20.7 mL of nitrogen at 150 C and 760 mm pressure. Calculate the percentage of nitrogen in the compound