Scabies is an infestation caused by itch mite due to poor personal hygiene.
· Infestation by the itch mite otherwise called as Sarcoptes Scabiei”
· skin contact with affected person (physical contact)
· Direct contact with skin, clothing and furniture containing infected mites.
· ITCHING: Itching is a common symptom, often worse at night and can be severe and intense.
· RASH: When the mite burrows into the skin it forms rashes.
· SORES: These occur in infested areas where a person has scratched at the skin.
· THICK CRUSTS: Crusted scabies, is a form of severe scabies.
· In between the finger webs
· Around finger nails
· Waist lines
· Inner parts of the wrists
· Inner elbow
· Soles of the feet
· Onset of generalized pruritis (itching) and the characteristic eruptions
· Itchy burrows and vesicles
· Microscope examination
· Digital Photography
· Permethrin 5 % Cream/lotion
· Benzyl Benzoate 10 – 25% lotion
· Crotamition 10% ointment
· Lindane 1% lotion/cream
· Oral medication according to the severity.
· Maintenance of personal hygiene
· Isolation - separate clothing and toiletries.
· Necessary care to be given to the family members
· Topical treatment must be applied to the entire skin surface.
· After completion of treatment patients should use fresh, clean bedding and clothing.
· Other family members and Close personal contacts should be treated at the same time.
· Teach them to wash all linens, towels, and clothing used by the patient during the 2 days before treatment in hot water and dry them in sunlight.