Function of the thymus gland
1. The primary function of the thymus is the production of Thymic lymphocytes
2. Thymus is the major site for lymphocyte proliferation in the body
3. One percent of the lymphocytes produced in the thymus leave the thymus, others are destroyed.
4. lymphocytes produced in the thymus are called T lymphocytes or T cells
5. In the thymus the lymphocytes are educated so that they can pro-duce cell mediated immune (CMI) response against foreign anti-gens
6. Immature lymphocytes mature in the thymus and acquire different Cell differentiation (CD) molecules on their surface