It is a primary lymphoid organ of birds which is situated near the cloaca. It consists of lymphoid centers that contain epithelial cells and lymphocytes. These lymphocytes are antibody producing cells. The B cells undergo maturation in this organ. Like thymus the bursa is largest at hatching and undergoes atrophy with maturation.
· Mammals do not have Bursa of Fabricius
· A structure in mammals that functions equivalent to that of birds is the bone marrow
1. It produces B lymphocytes. These are responsible for antibody production and Humoral immunity
2. These B cells mature and go to the peripheral lymphoid organs and are seeded there
3. Following appropriate antigenic stimulation, B lymphocytes trans-form into plasma cells and produce antibodies
Copyright © 2018-2020 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.