Definition - Hepatitis A is a systematic disorder that primarily affects the liver.
Heptatitis A virus (Entero virus)
Mode of transmission - Faeco oral route and direct contact
Incubation period- 14 -28 days
· Severe anorexia, nausea and vomiting,
· Pain in right hypochondriac region
· Passing dark color urine and pale stool.
Acute liver failure
a) Control of reservoir
Complete bed rest and disinfection of faeces and fomites by using 0.5 % sodium hypochlorite is recommended to prevent the spread of infection to others.
b) Control of transmission :
· Hand washing before eating and after defaecation.
· Sanitary disposal of excreta.
· Purification of community water supplies by flocculation, Filtration and adequate chlorination.
c) Control of susceptible population :
Vaccines: Several inactivated or live attenuated vaccines against Hepatitis A is available to protect against the infection.
· The patient has to be provided with adequate rest.
· Bland diet should be provided
· Avoid Alcohol