Answer the following questions:
1. What are transition metals? Give four examples.
2. Explain the oxidation states of 4d series elements.
3. What are inner transition elements?
4. Justify the position of lanthanides and actinides in the periodic table.
5. What are actinides? Give three examples.
6. Why Gd3+ is colourless?
7. Explain why compounds of Cu2+ are coloured but those of Zn2+ are colourless.
8. Describe the preparation of potassium dichromate.
9. What is lanthanide contraction and what are the effects of lanthanide contraction?
10. complete the following
11. What are interstitial compounds?
12. Calculate the number of unpaired electrons in Ti3+ , Mn2+ and calculate the spin only magnetic moment.
13. Write the electronic configuration of Ce4+ and Co2+.
14. Explain briefly how +2 states becomes more and more stable in the first half of the first row transition elements with increasing atomic number.
15. Which is more stable? Fe3+ or Fe2+ - explain.
16. Explain the variation in E0M3+ /M2+ 3d series.
17. Compare lanthanides and actinides.
18. Explain why Cr2+ is strongly reducing while Mn3+ is strongly oxidizing.
19. Compare the ionization enthalpies of first series of the transition elements.
20. Actinoid contraction is greater from element to element than the lanthanoid contraction, why?
21. Out of Lu(OH)3 and La(OH)3 which is more basic and why?
22. Why europium (II) is more stable than Cerium (II)?
23. Why do zirconium and Hafnium exhibit similar properties?
24. Which is stronger reducing agent Cr2+ or Fe2+?
25. The E0M2+ /M value for copper is positive. Suggest a possible reason for this.
26. predict which of the following will be coloured in aqueous solution Ti2+ , V3+ Sc4+, Cu+ ,Sc3+, Fe3+, Ni2+ and Co3+
27. Describe the variable oxidation state of 3d series elements.
28. Which metal in the 3d series exhibits +1 oxidation state most frequently and why?
29. Why first ionization enthalpy of chromium is lower than that of zinc?
30. Transition metals show high melting points why?
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.