· Do you worry about how much you weigh?
· What do you think of your body/weight?
· Do you diet?
· Do you ever make yourself sick after a meal?
· Low weight not due to other illness
· Persistent refusal to maintain weight (cf depression – don‟t want to eat). Obsession with food, weight and thinness
· 90% female, usual onset from 11 – 19 years
o Media message: thin = beautiful
o Already painfully aware of body image due to changes in puberty
o Stressful life situations
o Family dynamics
o Something they can have control over when they don‟t have control in other areas of their lives
o Failure to achieve weight control ® ¯sense of failure ® try harder
o Deliberate self-starvation
o Fear of gaining weight
o Denial of hunger
o Constant exercising
o Self perception of being fat
o Absent or irregular periods
o May purge (vomiting, laxatives)
· Complications: starvation, heart, osteomalacia, ¯fertility
· Purging a more dominant feature
· Don‟t usually loose so much weight