The root is non-green, cylindrical descending axis of the plant that usually grows into the soil (positively geotropic). It develops from the radicle which is the first structure that comes out when a seed is placed in the soil. Root is responsible for absorption of water and nutrients and anchoring the plant.
• Root is the descending portion of the plant axis.
• Generally non-green in colour as it lacks chlorophyll.
• Does not possess nodes, internodes and buds (Exception in sweet potato and members of Rutaceae, roots bear buds which help in vegetative propagation)
• It bears root hairs (To absorb water and minerals from the soil)
• It is positively geotropic and negatively phototropic in nature.