![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Types of Disabilities / Handicaps
Handicaps result in physical, neurological and social maladjustment and defects.
A. Physical Defects
1. Eyes. Blind and partially sighted
2. Ears. Deaf and hard of hearing
3. Missing limb/weak limb
4. Physical abnormalities such as webbed fingers, hunch back, sixth finger/toe, malformed ear, harelip, cleft palates, face and body birth marks.
5. Defective speech. It results in stammering that affects child's personality.
6. Chronical defects. The defects that exist year after year are generally referred to as chronical defects i.e. congenital heart diseases, rheumatism and muscular atrophys.
B. Neurological Defects
These are caused by disorders of the central nervous system e.g. cerebral palsy, epilepsy and schizophrenia. Cerebral palsy results in paralysis/motion disorder of limbs due to brain malfunction. Sudden uncontrollable attacks (seizures) resulting in loss of consciousness and muscle control are common among epileptic patients.
These defects can be corrected/ improved to a great extent when detected and treated in time. Medical, surgical and scientific advancement is providing tremendous improvements to cope with the different handicaps.
C. Social Maladjustment Defect
Socially maladjusted children do not conform to the acceptable social
norms of the society. The children can be indulging in anti-social activities
leading to juvenile delinquency and other related problems. Socially
disadvantaged child is a deprived child deprived of love, proper guidance and
general social security.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.