Supervision is an act of directing, managing or overseeing the subordinate at work. It refers to a cooperative relationship between the leader and one or more person to accomplish a particular job. It is undertaken at all levels of management and face to face communication is useful for supervision.
“Supervision is achieving the desired results by means of intelligent utilisation of human talent” -GR TERRY
· Supervision should encourage self-expression to draw out the potential abilities of a worker.
· It should provide initiative to individual to take more responsibility.
· It should provide full opportunity to do work in cooperation to develop the team spirit and also to develop the good interpersonal relationship.
· It should meet the individual needs.
· Good supervision respects the personality of an individual.
From the above diagram, it has revealed that, a Supervisor should possess with five qualities. This will ensure the supervisor to achieve the organisational goals and objectives.
1. Knowledge of the organisation: Supervisor should understand the full information about the organisation that is rules and regulation, byelaws, policies and procedures.
2. Technical Knowledge: As the organisation becomes fully computerised environment, every supervisor would have the technical knowledge such as computing skills, electronic communication skill etc.
3. Honesty: Supervisor should develop morality among the subordinates. Without honesty, no supervisor could achieve their organisational goals.
4. Ability to listen: Supervisor is not only instructing their subordinates always, but also he has to hear the information given by subordinates for the welfare of the organisation.
5. Ability to talk well: Supervisor should have the ability to communicate his subordinates for the better achievement of organizational objectives.