Social Issues and the Environment
1. What is earthquake?
It is defined as sudden, violent, and shaking of part of the earth.
2. What is cyclone and mention the prevention taken at the time of cyclone?
· It is an area of low pressure in the centre and high pressure outside.
· Store all the loose items inside the home
· Fuel your car and park it under solid cover
· Close the shutters or heavily tape all the windows
· Disconnect all the electrical appliances
· Turn off the gas
3. What is landslide?
It is a sudden collapse of larger mass of hill slide.
4. What is Rain water harvesting?
In urban areas, the construction of houses, footpaths and roads has left little exposed earth for water to soak in. In parts of the rural areas of India, floodwater quickly flows to the rivers, which then dry up soon after the rains stop. If this water can be held back, it can seep into the ground and recharge the groundwater supply.
5. Define sustainable development.
Sustainable development is defined as, “meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generation to meet to meet their own needs”.
6. List the objectives of Forest Conservation Act.
Illegal non-forest activity within a forest area can be immediately stopped under this act.
Provides conservation of all types of forests. Non forest activities include clearing of forest land for cultivation of any types of crops.
7. List the objectives of forest conservation act.
¨ To protect and conserve the forest. To ensure judicious use of forest products
8. Define the concept of sustainable development.
Sustainable development is defined as the meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
9. Define urbanization.
Urbanization is the movement of human population from rural areas to urban areas for the want of better education, communication, health, employment, etc.,
10. What are the urban problems related to energy?
¨ Residential and commercial lightings.
¨ Transportation means including motor cycle, car and public transport for moving from residence to work place.
11. Enumerate the uses of Rainwater harvesting.
¨ Reduce loss of rain water.
¨ Increase ground water level.
¨ Minimizing the soil erosion and flood hazards.
12. List the objectives of forest conservation act.
¨ To protect and conserve the forest.
¨ To ensure judicious use of forest products
13. Define watershed management.
The management of rainfall and resultant runoff is called watershed management. It also involves conservation, regeneration and proper use of water.
14. List the objectives of forest conservation act.
To protect and conserve the forest.
To ensure judicious use of forest products.
15. Define the term Tsunami.
Tsunami is a large waves that are generated in a water body when the sea floor is deformed by seismic activity. This activity displaces the overlying water in the ocean.
16. What is biomedical waste?
Biomedical wastes are one type of bio waste generated from health care activities (hospitals, laboratories, etc,). Biomedical waste may be solid or liquid in nature and also be hazardous or non hazardous.
Copyright © 2018-2020 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.