![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Common Changes in Appearance during Old Age
1. The nose elongates
2. The mouth changes its shape as a result of tooth loss or the necessity of wearing dentures.
3. The eyes seem dull and lusterless and often have a waterly look.
4. A double or triple chin develops.
5. The cheeks become pendulous, wrinkled, and baggy.
6. The skin becomes wrinkled and dry, and dark spots, moles, or warts may appear.
The hair on the head becomes thin and turns grey or white, and tough, bristly hair appears in the nose, ears, and eyebrows.
1. The shoulders stoop and thus seem smaller
2. The abdomen bulges and droops
3. The hips seem flabbier and broader than they did earlier.
4. The waistline broadens, giving the trunk a sack like appearance.
5. The woman's breasts become flabby and droop.
1. The upper arm becomes flabby and heavy, while the lower arm seems to shrink in diameter.
2. The legs become flabby and the veins prominent, especially around the ankles.
3. The hands become scrawny, and the veins on the back of the hand are prominent.
4. The feet become larger as a result of sagging muscles, and corns, bunions, and collouses often appear.
5. The nails of the hands and feet become thick, tough, and brittle.
Changes in Physiological functions include decline in the ability to see, hear, marked changes in taste, sense of smell becomes less, and also that of sensitivity to pain. Elderly people tire quickly and require a longer time to recover from fatigue, changes in skilled movements especially handwriting, slow in learning new skills and quite often tend to become awkward and clumsy. Recall is affected. Old people tend to have poor recent memories but better remote memories.
Quite often due to lack of income or low economic status they become dependent and have to compromise on many of their hobbies, interests, activities etc.,
Common physical hazards
Include disease and physical handicaps like circulatory, metabolic and mental disorders. Heart diseases, rheumatism, arthritis, visual and hearing impairment, etc., are also common. Due to psychological and physiological disorder and economic reasons, malnutrition in old age is common.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.