Chemical Coordination and Integration
1. The maintenance of constant internal environment is referred as
d. hormonal control
2. Which of the following are exclusive endocrine glands?
a. Thymus and testis
b. adrenal and ovary
c. parathyroid and adrenal
d. pancreas and parathyroid
3. Which of the following hormone is not secreted under the influence of pituitary gland?
4. Spermatogenesis in mammalian testes is controlled by
a. Luteinising hormone
b. Follicle stimulating hormone
c. FSH and prolactin
d. GH and prolactin
5. Serum calcium level is regulated by
d. Thyroid and parathyroid
6. Iodised salt is essential to prevent
7. Which of the following gland is related with immunity?
a. Pineal gland
b. adrenal gland
d. parathyroid gland
8. Which of the following statement about sex hormones is correct?
a. Testosterone is produced by Leydig cells under the influence of luteinizing hormone
b. Progesterone is secreted by corpus luteum and softens pelvic ligaments during child birth
c. Oestrogen is secreted by both sertoli cells and corpus luteum
d. Progesterone produced by corpus luteum is biologically different from the one produced by placenta.
9. Hypersecretion of GH in children leads to
c. Graves disease
10. A pregnant female delivers a baby who suffers from stunted growth, mental retardation, low intelligence quotient and abnormal skin. This is the result of
a. Low secretion of growth hormone
b. Cancer of the thyroid gland
c. Over secretion of pars distalis
d. Deficiency of iodine in diet.
11. The structure which connects the hypothalamus with anterior lobe of pituitary gland is the
a. Dendrites of neuro hypophysis
b. Axons of neurohypophysis
c. Bands of white fibers from cerebellar region
d. Hypophysial portal system
12. Comment on homeostasis.
13. Which one of the following statement is correct
a. Calcitonin and thymosin are thyroid hormones
b. Pepsin and prolactin are secreted in stomach
c. Secretin and rhodopsin are polypeptide hormones
d. Cortisol and aldosterone are steroid hormones
14. which of the given option shows all wrong statements for thyroid gland
(i) It inhibits process of RBC formation
(ii) It helps in maintenance of water and electrolytes
(iii) Its more secretion can reduce blood pressure
(iv) It Stimulates osteoblast
(a) (i) and (ii)
(b) (iii) and (iv)
(c) (i) and (iv)
(d) (i) and (iii)
15. Hormones are known as chemical messenger. Justify.
16. Write the role of oestrogen in ovulation.
17. Comment on Acini of thyroid gland.
18. Write the causes for diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
19. Specify the symptoms of acromegaly
20. Write the symptoms of cretinism.
21. Briefly explain the structure of thyroid gland.
22. Name the layers of adrenal cortex and mention their secretions.
23. Differentiate hyperglycemia from hypoglycemia.
24 Write the functions of (CCK) Cholecystokinin.
25. Growth hormone is important for normal growth. Justify the statement.
26. Pineal gland is an endocrine gland, write its role.
27. Comment on the functions of adrenalin.
28. Predict the effects of removal of pancreas from the human body.
29. Enumerate the role of kidney as an endocrine gland.
30. Write a detailed account of gastro intestinal tract hormones.
Alternation of generation – Alternation of haploid sexual and diploid asexual generation in the life cycle of an animal.
Autonomy - Breaking of a body part.
Dioecious - Animals in which male and female reproductive organs occur in separate individuals.
Acidosis – condition characterised by lower blood pH, due to the increase of keto acids (ketosis)
cAMP – Cyclic adenosine mono phosphate acts as a second messenger (intracellular messenger) in the case of peptide hormone.
Catecholamines – Naturally occurring amines that function as neurotransmitters. They are characterised by catechol group in which an amine group is attached. Example .Epinephrine
Limbic systems – It is a collection of special structures located in the middle of the brain. It is also known as paleomammalian brain. It control emotions, behaviour, motivation of long term memory and olfaction.
Melanocytes – Melanin (black pigment) containing cells.