Is generally considered to extend from age forty to age sixty. The onset is marked by physical and mental changes. Some of the most important characteristics are.
Characteristics of Middle age
1. Middle age is a dreaded age - It is recognized that, next to old age, it is the most dreaded point in the total life span and the one, adults will not admit that they have reached until the calendar and the mirror force them to do so. Some of the reasons are, the mental and physical deterioration, cessation of the reproductive life, restrictions in finance and independence.
2. Middle age is a time of transition - transition always means adjustment to new interest, new values, new pattern of behaviour, physical changes, changed roles etc., The most important adjustment is with death of a spouse. Of course adjustment with the problems of aging parents is always there.
3. Middle age is a time of stress - while major adjustment's to work, home, social life are made, this will lead to stress. Women have stress during the period of menopause.
4. Middle age is a time of achievement - middle age should be a time not only for financial and social success but also for authority and prestige. They usually reach their peak after which they rest to enjoy the benefits of their hard work.
5. Middle age is a time of evaluation - evaluation of their achievement and accomplishments in terms of money, social status, family size, their earlier aspiration, plans for future life etc., is carried out.
6. Middle age is the time of the empty nest - the time when the children no longer want to live under the parental roof. This period is much more traumatic for women than men. This leads to boredom especially if one has given up the job and other activities.