Working with Chart
One of the most important features of spreadsheet is the ability to create charts based on numeric data. The charts are used to present data in an easy manner. Creating charts is the key factor for the of success of spreadsheet. OpenOffice Calc provides a “chart wizard” to create and manipulate charts.
Chart wizard is used to insert charts in Calc. Chart wizard can be invoked by clicking “chart” icon from standard toolbar or choosing Insert → Chart command. A "Chart wizard" appear as shown in Figure 7.49
Chart wizard dialog box has 4 steps viz. (1) Chart type (2) Data Range (3) Data Series and (4) Chart Elements. The “Next” button is used to move from one step to another step.
Step 1: Chart type
The first step of “Chart wizard” is used to select Chart type. All available chart types are listed under the “Choose a chart type” list box. On the right side of the list box shows style of the selected chart; each chart type has different styles.
For example, Column chart has three styles viz. Normal, Stacked and Percent Stacked. Refer Figure 7.49
"3D Look" check box helps to display the selected chart type in an attractive form. 3D Look is applied only for Column, Bar, Pie and Area chart type. Refer Figure 7.50.
Click, “Next” button to move to the second step.
Step 2: Data Range
In this step, specify the range of data for which the chart should be created in “Data range” text box or click “Select data range” button which is at the end of the textbox to minimize the wizard.
If the user had selected the data before invoking "chart wizard", the selected range will appear automatically in the textbox as shown in Figure 7.51.
There are two checkboxes used to set the first row or first column or both, as X and Y axis labels to the chart.
Click "Next" button to move to the third step.
In this step, the user can fine tune the data to be included in the chart. If you don’t want to include any column, click the column names listed in “Data Series” box and click on “Remove” button or if you want to add some more columns click “Add” button. Refer Figure 7.52. This is useful only if you have very specific requirements for data in your chart. Otherwise simply click “Next” button to move the last step.
This step is used to insert or change titles and legend. In “Title” box, type the title for the chart, to add a subtitle type it in the “Subtitle” box. Refer Figure 7.53. For example, A chart for showing the highest mark holder in you class, you may enter as “Highest Mark holder” as title and “Class XII F” as subtitle.
User can add or modify the labels of X and Y axis.
To create a chart click “Finish” button.
Type the following data in a new worksheet as in Figure 7.54. The following steps is followed to create a chart for the given data.
Step 1 – Select Data:
· Select the data from A1 to F11.
Step 2 – To open the chart wizard:
· Click “Chart” icon from Standard toolbar (or) choose Insert → Chart.
Step 3 – Selecting Chart type and shape: (Refer Figure 7.55)
• Select “Chart type” as Column and style as Normal
• Check “3D Look” and click “Cylinder shape”
• Click “Next” button.
• If the user wants change any other type or shape, click on the style image. Preview of the chart displayed on the backgroup of the chart wizard. So, you can view the chart at every stage of design.
Step 4 – Defining Data range: (Refer Figure 7.56)
• In this case, the data has been selected earlier. So, the selected data range is displayed in the “Data range” box.
• Other settings are by default. Click “Next” to move to step 5.
Step 5 – Adding or Removing Data series: (Refer Figure 7.57)
• “Data Series” list box shows all the columns to be included in the chart.
• Click on the “Total” in the data series box and click “Remove” button to remove the column.
• If you don’t want to add or remove anyother column click “Next” button to move to the last step.
Step 6 – Adding Title, Subtitle, Name of X and Y axis: (Refer Figure 7.58)
· Type the title and subtitle of the chart in “Title” and “Subtitle” box
· Type the name of the X and Y-axis in the respective boxes.
· The Display legent text box is selected to the right which is the default.
· Click “Finish” button.
Now the chart will be displayed as in Figure 7.59.
After inserting a chart any element of the chart can be modified. To modify the element
a. Double click on the element
b. Right click on the selected element
c. Select Format from the popup menu.
For example, To change the display pattern of the X-axis, double-click on the X-axis and then right-click on it. A pop-up menu appears as shown in the Figure 7.60.
In this popup menu, click “Format Axis…” option.
Now the chart will be displayed as given below
Now, a Format Axis dialog box appears as shown in Figure 7.61
Select “Label” tab.
· In Text Orientation spinbox, type as 90 degree or click and drag the Text direction animated handle.
· Clicl “OK” button.
Now, the chart will be as in Figure 7.62