Uses of alcohols
1. Methanol is used as a solvent for paints, varnishes, shellac, gums, cement, etc.
2. In the manufacture of dyes, drugs, perfumes and formaldehyde.
1. It is also used in the preparation of
a) Paints and varnishes.
b) Organic compounds like ether, chloroform, iodoform, etc.,
c) Dyes, transparent soaps.
2. As a substitute for petrol under the name power alcohol used as fuel for aeroplane
3. It is used as a preservative for biological specimens.
1. Ethylene glycol is used as an antifreeze in automobile radiator
2. Its dinitrate is used as an explosive with TNG.
1. Glycerol is used as a sweetening agent in confectionary and beverages.
2. It is used in the manufacture of cosmetics and transparent soaps.
3. It is used in making printing inks and stamp pad ink and lubricant for watches and clocks.
4. It is used in the manufacture of explosive like dynamite and cordite by mixing it with china clay