Uses of Transgenesis
· Transgenesis is a powerful tool to study gene expression and developmental processes in higher organisms.
· Transgenesis helps in the improvement of genetic characters in animals.Transgenic animals serve as good models for understanding human diseases which help in the investigation of new treatments for diseases.Transgenic models exist for many human diseases such as cancer, Alzheimer’s, cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis and sickle cell anemia.
· Transgenic animals are used to produce proteins which are important for medical and pharmaceutical applications.
· Transgenic mice are used for testing the safety of vaccines.
· Transgenic animals are used for testing toxicity in animals that carry genes which make them sensitive to toxic substances than non-transgenic animals exposed to toxic substances and their effects are studied.
· Transgenesis is important for improving the quality and quantity of milk, meat, eggs and wool production in addition to testing drug resistance.