Advantages and Disadvantages of Cloning Animals
· Offers benefits for clinical trials and medical research. It can help in the production of proteins and drugs in the field of medicine.
· Aids stem cell research.
· Animal cloning could help to save endangered species.
· Animal and human activists see it as a threat to biodiversity saying that this alters evolution which will have an impact on populations and the ecosystem.
· The process is tedious and very expensive.
· It can cause animals to suffer.
· Reports show that animal surrogates were manifesting adverse outcomes and cloned animals were affected with disease and have high mortality rate.
· It might compromise human health through consumption of cloned animal meat.
· Cloned animals age faster than normal animals and are less healthy than the parent organism as discovered in Dolly.
· Cloning can lead to occurrence of genetic disorders in animals.
· More than 90% of cloning attempts fail to produce a viable offspring.