Trends in Economic Zoology
1. Which one of the following is not related to vermiculture?
a. Maintains soil fertility
b. Breakdown of inorganic matter
c. Gives porosity, aeration and moister holding capacity
d. Degradation of non biodegradable solid waste
a. a and b is correct
b. c and d is correct
c. b and d is not correct
d. a and c is not correct
2. Which one of the following is not an endemic species of earthworm?
3. Match the following
1. Bombyx mori - a) Champa - I) Muga
2. Antheraea assamensis - b) Mulberry - II) Eri
3. Antheraea mylitta - c) Arjun - III)Tassar
4. Attacus ricini - d) Castor - IV) Mulberry
Select the correct one.
A) 1 – b – IV
B) 2 – a – I
C) 3 - c - III
D) 4 - d - II
All options are correct
4. Silk is obtained from ….
a. Laccifer lacca
b. Nosema bombycis
c. Attacus ricini
d. Attacus mylitta
5. Assertion: Nuptial flight is a unique flight taken the queen bee followed by several drones.
Reason: The queen bee produces a chemical substance called pheromone. The drones in that area are attracted to the pheromone and then mating takes place.
a. Assertion and reason is correct but not related
b. Assertion and reason is incorrect but related
c. Assertion and reason is correct but related
d. Assertion and reason is incorrect but not related
6. Rearing of honey bee is called
b. Lac culture
7. Which of the statement regarding Lac insect is TRUE?
a. A microscopic, resinous crawling scale insect
b. Inserts its proboscis into plant tissue suck juices and grows
c. Secretes lac from the hind end of body.
d. The male lac insect is responsible for large scale production of lac.
8. Aquaponics is a technique which is
a. A combination of aquaculture and fish culture
b. A combination of aquaculture and hydroponics
c. A combination of vermiculture and hydroponics
d. A combination of aquaculture and prawn culture.
9. Prawn belongs to the class
10. Pearl oyster belongs to the Class
11. Inland fisheries are
a. deep sea fishing
b. capturing fishes from sea coast
c. Raising and capturing fishes in fresh water
d. oil extraction from fish
12. Induced breeding technique is used in
a. Marine fishery
b. Capture fishery
c. Culture fishery
d. Inland fishery
13. Isinglass is used in
b. Clearing of wines
c. Distillation of wines
d. Preservation of wines
14. Animal husbandry is the science of rearing, feeding and caring, breeding and disease control of animals. It ensures supply of proper nutrition to our growing population through activities like increased production and improvement of animal products like milk, eggs, meat, honey, etc.
a. Poultry production depends upon the photoperiod.Discuss
b. Polyculture of fishes is of great importance.
15. Assertion: The best quality of pearl is known as lingha pearl and obtained from marine oysters.
Reason: Nacre is secreted continuously by the epithelial layer of the mantle and deposited around the foreign particle
a. Assertion is true, Reason is false
b. Assertion and Reason are false
c. Assertion is false But Reason is true
d. Assertion and Reason are true
16. Choose the correctly matched pair
1. Egg layers – Brahma
2. Broiler types - Leghorn
3. Dual purpose – White Plymouth rock
4. Ornamental breeds – Silkie
17. Writethe advantages of vermicomposting.
18. Name the three castes in a honey bee colony
19. Name the following
i. The largest bee in the colony
ii. The kind of flight which the new virgin queen takes along with the drones out of the hive
20. What are the main duties of a worker bee?
21. What happens to the drones after mating flight?
22. Give the economic importance of Silkworm
23. What are the Nutritive values of fishes?
24. Give the economic importance of prawn fishery
25. Give the economic importance of lac insect
26. List any three common uses of shellac.
27. Name any two trees on which lac insect grows.
28. What is seed lac?
29. Define cross breeding.
30. What are the advantages of artificial insemination?
31. Discuss the various techniques adopted in cattle breeding?
32. Mention the advantages of MOET.
33. Write the peculiar characters of duck.
Biological indicator – refers to organisms, species or community whose characteristics show the presence of specific environmental conditions.
Endemism – is the ecological state of a species being unique to a defined geographic location, and not found elsewhere.
Drilosphere – is the part of the soil influenced by earthworm secretions, burrowing and castings.
Brood – a family of birds produced at one hatching or birth.
Hapa – is a cage like, rectangular or square net impoundment placed in a pond for holding fish for various purposes. They are made of fine mesh netting material.