Tamil Typing Interface
Typing in Tamil has different methods.
• Using Tamil Font
• Using Tamil Interface.
In the first method specific Tamil fonts are available which has to be downloaded and installed and should be included in the font folder of the control panel. But this method has some drawbacks:
• The user must be aware of Tamil typing.
• The particular font must be available in the system.
• It does not support other languages including English.
• The computer accepts characters as symbols not as language.
• It is not portable, i.e. if the document is sent to another computer, if the same font is not available, it is recognized as symbols not as original characters.
To overcome the drawbacks in the first method, the interface method provides the following advantages:
• It follows Unicode technique. Hence knowledge of Tamil typing is not necessary.
• It is easy to type documents in Tamil in any word processor.
• Some of the Unicode fonts like “Arial Unicode” supports all Indian languages including Tamil and English using respective language interface.
Many Tamil Typing Interfaces are available as open source such as “Murasu”(it is exclusively for Tamil), “NHM Writer”(It is universal to all Indian languages) etc.
“Murasu” use the link : http://anjal. net/download
“NHM writer” use the link : http:// software.nhm.in