The most important thing in a word processor is how to format the page with elements such as margins, numbering, page layout, headers and footers. Formatting your pages makes them look more attractive and makes them easier to read.
The default page size in writer is 8.5 x 11”, the same as that of a standard A4 printing paper. However, for different types of documents, you may need to change the page size. To change the paper size:
· Select the page whose page size is to be changed
· Select Format -> Page, the page style dialog box appears as shown in Figure 6.26.
· Select Page Tab
· In the paper format group, select the format like A4, legal ….
· Or the width and height option can be used to set the page size.
Page margins are the white space around the top, bottom, left, and right of your document. Margins let Writer know where to start placing the text at the top of a document, when to move on to the next page at the bottom, where to start typing text on the left side, and where to stop and move to the next line on the right.
Changing or setting page margins in Openoffice writer can be done in two ways:
· Using the Rulers - quick and easy, but does not have precise values.
· Using the Page Style dialog box - can specify precise values for the margins.
· The shaded sections of the rulers are the margins.
· Hold the mouse pointer over the line between the gray and white sections.
· The mouse pointer turns into a double-headed arrow.
· Hold down the left mouse button and drag the mouse to move the margin and release it at the required point.
· The new margin is set.
To change margins using the Page Style dialog box
· Right-click anywhere on the page and select Page from the popup menu and select page tab of page style dialog box.
· In the Margins boxes, specify the values for left , right , top and bottom margins.
· Click on ok button.
Page orientation refers to how the document will be displayed on screen and printed. There are two different orientations:
Landscape - The width of the document is more than the height. This is best suited for displaying professional photos, invitations, albums, tables etc.
Portrait – This is the most common and default orientation . Here, the height of the document is more than the width. Normally books, newspapers will be displayed in this format.
· Select the page whose orientation is to be changed
· In the Page style dialog box, under the Orientation group,
· Select Portrait or Landscape button.
Changing the page color is not quite common. To do so, in the Page style dialog box, select Background tab, In As option click on color and select the “color” from the color palette or select “graphic” to apply an image as a page background, as shown in Figure 6.27.
Borders can be applied to an entire document, an entire page, paragraph, or just to certain sections of the document. From the page style dialog box, select the Border tab, the user defined area helps to define the area of borders, the line style of borders, color of borders can be selected. The dialog box in Figure 6.28 shows the borders setting in the page style dialog box.