OpenOffice Writer has a Find and Replace feature that helps to locate for a text inside a document and replace it with another word. In addition to finding and replacing words and phrases, you can also use wildcards and regular expressions to perform advanced search. To search a word
• Click Edit -> Find & Replace (or) Ctrl + F
• The Find & Replace dialog box appears as shown in Figure 6.30
1. Type the text you want to find in the Search for box
For Example : To search a word "Bombay" in a document and repolace with enter the word "Bombay" in the "Mumbai", Search for box.
2. To replace the text with different text, type the new text in the Replace with box
Enter the word " Mumbai" in the Replace with box and Click Find button , to start the search , the found word is highlighted and the first occurance of "Bombay" is highlighted.
3. To replace text, click Replace button.
The highlighted word is replaced with the word given in the Replace with box.
4. Click Find All, Writer selects all instances of the search text in the d o c u m e nt .
All occurances of Bombay are highlighted.
5. Click Replace All button, Writer replaces all matches.
This will replace all occurances of "Bombay" with "Mumbai".
6. Enable Match case to perform the search case sensitively so that uppercase and lower cases are distinguished separately.
7. Enable Whole Words only to make the search more specific to words used separately alone.