![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Successful housing needs the provision of adequate storage facilities through out the various parts of the house. Good storage facility is needed for the following reasons.
1. Gives a neat and orderly background for a family living.
2. Avoids unnecessary waste of time and energy.
3. To have easy access to things.
4. To have maximum use of space allotted.
5. To preserve and protect the things against mice, flies, ants etc.
6. To keep things away from dust, sunlight, moisture, abnoxious gases and adverse temperature.
7. To prevent pilferages.
8. To keep things out of reach of children.
Some of the things in the house that need to be stored are clothing, bedding, food supplies, kitchen equipment, sports equipment, garden and yard tools, cleaning agents, cleaning equipment, books, medicines, disinfectants, recreational equipment, etc.
Provision for storage in a house can be made in attics, basements, garage, shelves and built in cupboards.
The following points should be kept in mind when planning storage.
1. Store materials and equipment near the place of work.
2. Store materials at proper heights to avoid unnecessary stooping and stretching.
3. Arrange articles properly.
4. Group articles of similar nature together.
5. Label the items stored.
Safety in the home refers to prevention of accidents so that a hazard free environment can be provided to the family members. One of the main reasons for the cause of accidents, is the manner of house construction. The following points should be kept in mind while constructing the house to avoid accidents.
1. Avoid bumpy and insecure flooring.
2. Avoid slippery and highly polished flooring.
3. Plan for storage cabinets at proper heights.
4. Avoid shelves and corners jutting into traffic lanes.
5. Light switches should be placed in proper places.
6. Electrical wiring should be done properly.
7. Stairs should have handrail.
8. The slope for stairs should be between 30-36 degrees and should not be very steep.
9. There should be sufficient landing space and head room at each flight of stairs.
10. The house should be well ventilated and well lit.
11. The terrace should have parapet walls of sufficient height
12. Use non-combustible building materials.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.