A single party system is a system in which there will be only one political party in a country. The law of the land will not allow rivals. The Russian Revolution in the beginning of 20th century was the main cause for the emergence of single party system. Best example for this system is communist China.
1. The government can be run efficiently without wasting time in discussion and controversies.
2. There is high national discipline.
3. There is no political rivalry.
4. Tremendous all around progress is possible
1. There will no difference between the party and the government.
2. Under this system, legislature may be law-making body with no change of frank discussion and deliberation.
3. The state with a single party rule will lead to authoritarianism and totalitarianism.
4. People are ruthlessly suppressed.
5. There will be no place for dignity of human personality.
6. No change for enjoying rights by the people.
The two party system is the one in which there will be two political parties one is the ruling party and the other is the opposition party, example of two party systems are,
1. England - There are two parties in England the conservative party and Labour party.
2. U.S.A - The Democratic Party and the Republican Party.
1. In a parliamentary government, the two party systems provides fro stable government.
2. A real representative government is possible only in a two party system.
3. Since parties are well organized, they held to mould public opinion.
4. Voters are well aware of polices and programmes of the parties of which they
5. The opposition party is playing constructive role. It points out the commissions and omissions in the policies and acts of the government.
1. It gives rise to dictatorship of the cabinet and lower the prestige of legislature.
2. There will be possibility of despotism of ruling party.
3. Representation of various interests and minorities is denied.
4. It gives rise to blind devotion and allegiance to the party and the leaders.
Cleavages in social structures and differences in nationalities and regions in a state cause the emergence of multiparty system. A multiparty system is the one in which there will be more than parties in a state. For example,
1.The possibility of cabinet dictatorship is rule out.
2. There is greater individual freedom, and all shades of opinion can be expressed through various political parties.
3. Adequate representation to various interests in a state is accorded in multiparty system.
4. The voter has wider choice in the two party system.
There will be no stable government.
Multiplicity of political divisions and parties may create chaos.
Parties divide people into hostile groups
No ministry will be able to do any good work for the people. Coalition ministries will exist precariously for a short time.
Fraud in the buying of votes will undermine political morality.