Refrigerator is a device that maintains the temperature at O o c (32 o F) or above and humidity which influence the quality of food stored in the freezer.
1. It helps to preserve food stuffs so that they maintain their natural, physical appearance and nutritive value.
2. It helps to keep things cool.
3. It has made possible the enjoyment of many foods throughout the year.
4. Daily shopping is no longer necessary. It saves steps, energy and time.
1. The advent of no frost or automatic de-frosting refrigerators and freezers have resulted in a tendency to clean these less frequently. So it results in food spoilage.
2. If spills are not wiped up and foods not covered, their odours may be absorbed by other foods in the compartment. As a result the original flavour may be altered.
1. The refrigerator should not be over crowded.
2. Frequent opening of the refrigerator should be avoided.
3. Hot vessels should be cooled before being placed in the refrigerator.
4. Regular inspection of stored food and the removal before spoilage is required to keep the refrigerator clean.
5. Defrosting should be done periodically. This may be done by shutting off the current or by opening the fridge door. Defrosting is advised before the deposit is too thick.
6. It should be placed in a cool place about 15 to 30 cm away from the wall to permit heat escape.
7. Avoid using sharp instruments to remove ice in ice trays or in scraping off frost.