![if !IE]> <![endif]>
1. The participation of the individual members in the government facilitates to enlist their sympathy and co - operation to the success of the government.
2. It is an effective form to educate the public about political, economic and social affairs.
3. it is helpful to promote patriotism among the people and prevents occurrence of violent revolutions.
4. It helps to make progress and development and enables changes to take place in a peaceful manner.
5. It ensures to the people freedom of speech, conscience, assembly and action.
6. It guarantees liberty and equality, which are necessary for human development.
1. It sometimes leads to establish the majority view over the minority view.
2. Party leaders and political office holders in government control the citizens and the members of the party.
3. It does not encourage individuals to give their opinions.
4. It is a very expensive form of government because elections have to be conducted periodically to various office.
6. It is difficult to prevent corruption and malpractices.
7. It is also known as government by amateurs and lead to domination of masses.
In the dictionary definition, democracy 'is government by the people in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.'
In the words of Abraham Lincoln, democracy is a government 'of the people, by the people, and for the people.' There is no clear - cut, universal definition of democracy. Most definitions of democracy focus on qualities, procedures, and institutions.
There are many types of democracy and their varied practices produce similarly varied effects. Following are the varied definition of democracy.
'Democracy comes from the Greek words demos meaning 'People' and kratos meaning 'authority' or 'power.'' 'government whichis conducted with the freely given consent of people.'- a system of government in which supreme authority lies with the people.'
'Rule by the people in a country directly or by representation.' 'The form of government in which political control exercised by all the people, either directly or through their elected representative.' The word 'democracy' itself means 'rule by the people. 'A democracy is a system where people can change their rulers in a peaceful manner and the government is given the right to rule because the people say it may.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.