Importance of carbohydrates
• Carbohydrates, widely distributed in plants and animals, act mainly as energy sources and structural polymers.
• Carbohydrate is stored in the body as glycogen and in plant as starch.
• Carbohydrates such as cellulose which is the primary components of plant cell wall, is used to make paper, furniture (wood) and cloths (cotton)
• Simple sugar glucose serves as an instant source of energy.
• Ribose sugars are one of the components of nucleic acids.
• Modified carbohydrates such as hyaluronate (glycosaminoglycans) act as shock absorber and lubricant.