Dr. G.N. Ramachandran received Master's Degree in Physics from Madras University. In 1954, he identified and published the Triple helical structure of Collagen using X-ray diffraction. He pioneered the field of protein structure validation through the study of available crystal structures of peptides. From his studies, in 1962, he developed the Ramachandran Plot which is used even today for stereochemical validation of protein structures.
After studying this unit, students will be able to
• Describe the importance of carbohydrates and their classification based on structures/functions.
• Explain the structure of glucose and fructose and their elucidation.
• List the twenty amino acids and explain the peptide bond formation
• Explain the four levels of structure of proteins
• Outline the mechanism of enzyme catalysis
• Summarise the sources and deficiency diseases of vitamins
• Outline the composition and the structure of nucleic acids.
• Differentiate RNA from DNA and explain DNA finger printing
• Appreciate the importance of biomolecules in our life
All living things are made up of many biomolecules such as carbohydrates, proteins, lipids and nucleic acids etc... The major elements present in the human body are carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorous, and they combine to form a variety of biomolecules. These biomolecules are used as fuel to provide the necessary energy for the various functions of living systems in addition to many other biological functions. The field of studying about the chemistry behind the biological processes is called ‘Biochemistry’. In this unit, we will learn about some essential informations of the biomolecules, their structure and their importance.