General characteristics of solids
We have already learnt that gas molecules move randomly without exerting reasonable forces on one another. Unlike gases, in solids the atoms , ions or molecules are held together by strong force of attraction. The general characteristics of solids are as follows,
· Solids have definite volume and shape.
· Solids are rigid and incompressible
· Solids have strong cohesive forces.
· Solids have short inter atomic, ionic or molecular distances.
· Their constituents ( atoms , ions or molecules) have fixed positions and can only oscillate about their mean positions
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.