The range is an appliance used for food preparation. It consists of surface units or gas burner and an oven. Heat for majority of the ranges used in the homes today is produced from either gas or electricity.
Cooking range performs surface cooking, baking, roasting and broiling operations.
1. If the range is not installed properly on level heat distribution will not be even and the quality of the end products will be poor.
2. It should be handled with care as it is electrically operated.
1. The extension surface of the range should be cleaned regularly with a clean cloth that has been wrung out in hot soapy water to remove grease splatters that might not be seen.
2. Oven cleaning is much easier if done frequently. Food spills should be wiped as soon as the oven cools down.
3. Electric range is finished in porcelain enamel. It is not advisable to wash the porcelain enamel on a hot range because it tends to cause the enamel to crack.
4. Acid foods spilled on the enamel surface stain it and remove the gloss. So it should be avoided.
Labour Saving Devices
Changes in social and economic conditions in the last few years have resulted in changed responsibilities for both the gainfully employed and full time homemaker. Normally the homemakers spend much of their time in the kitchen. It will be helpful if they can save steps, energy, money and time in several ways in the kitchen. Labour saving devices both electrical and non-electrical are increasingly utilized by the homemaker at present. These tools and appliances have become part and parcel of the houses because of the comforts they yield. Adjusting the homemakers workload at home and outside the home necessitates the use of tools and appliances for carrying out the household activities.
Labour saving devices are the tools and appliances used to save both time and energy of the homemaker.