Applications of Biotechnology
· Biotechnology is one of the most important applied interdisciplinary sciences of the 21st century. It is the trusted area that enables us to find the beneficial way of life.
· Biotechnology has wide applications in various sectors like agriculture, medicine, environment and commercial industries.
· This science has an invaluable outcome like transgenic varieties of plants e.g. transgenic cotton (Bt-cotton), rice, tomato, tobacco, cauliflower, potato and banana.
· The development of transgenics as pesticide resistant, stress resistant and disease resistant varieties of agricultural crops is the immense outcome of biotechnology.
· The synthesis of human insulin and blood protein in E.coli and utilized for insulin deficiency disorder in human is a breakthrough in biotech industries in medicine.
· The synthesis of vaccines, enzymes, antibiotics, dairy products and beverages are the products of biotech industries.
· Biochip based biological computer is one of the successes of biotechnology.
· Genetic engineering involves genetic manipulation, tissue culture involves aseptic cultivation of totipotent plant cell into plant clones under controlled atmospheric conditions.
· Single cell protein from Spirulina is utilized in food industries.
· Production of secondary metabolites, biofertilizers, biopesticides and enzymes.
· Biomass energy, biofuel, Bioremediation, phytoremediation for environmental biotechnology.