Immediate Care of Mother and Baby
The mother and the baby has to remain in the delivery room for an hour after delivery.
Give Ergometrine or pitocin, massage the uterus and expel the clot
The vulva is swabbed and a sterile pad placed in position Buttocks should be dray and any wet sheet is removed the sterile towel is lain over the lower abdomen and thighs and cover with warm blanket.
· Check the maternal purse /60-70/minute is the normal range
· Take body temperature – subnormal due to loss of body heat, as high as 37.20C due to reactions of prolonged labour.
· Encourage her to pass urine
· Blood pressure is taken ½ hourly.
The general well being of the baby
Check the security of the cord clamp
Check APGAR score
Promote bonding and breast feeding
Put on ID (identification) band
Check weight, height, head circumference and any drug (s)
given to the baby
Record your observations during labour
· Method of delivery- spontaneous or accelerated, forceps, cesearian section or vacuum.
· Anaesthetic – General, epidural, local
· Blood loss- amount
· Placenta and membranes- complete, incomplete
· Perineum- laceration, episotomy
· Drugs given for the mother
· Baby – Sex, weight, APGAR score, alive or stillbirth. Date and time of delivery
N.B .The chart should present a clear, concise, reliablerecord.
The legal aspect of record keeping is also important during labour.
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.