Social Science : Geography
between the following
• Weather is observed for short duration over small areas.
• It changes hour to hour.
• A place can experience different types of weather condition in
• Weather data is collected everyday in the observatories.
• Study of weather is called Meteorology.
• Climate is observed over a long period of time for a larger
• It is more or less permanent.
• A place can experience almost the same type of climate.
• Climate is average of the weather data.
• Study of climate is called Climatology.
• It blows during the night.
• The wind blows from land to sea.
• During the night the land cools more rapidly than the ocean.
• It blows during the day.
• The wind blows from sea to land.
• During the day, the land masses get heated more rapidly than
• The side of the mountain facing the wind is called the
• It receives heavy rain fall.
• The other side of the mountain that does not face the wind is
called the Leeward side.
• It receives less rainfall.
• Tropical cyclones develop in the Inter tropical convergence
• They are formed due to the differential heating of land and
• Temperate cyclones are formed along a front in mid-latitudes
between 35° and 65° N and S.
• Temperate cyclones do not become weak like the tropical
cyclones on reaching the land.