Applications of chromatography
· Thin layer chromatography is used for the separation of alkaloids, phospholipids and other lipids.
· Gas liquid chromatography is applied for the separation of fatty acids in a lipid mixture.
· Ion exchange chromatography can be used for the separation and identification of amino acids in a mixture of protein hydrolysate. This principle is used in auto-analyzer.
· Exclusion chromatography can be applied for the determination of the molecular weight of the components separated.
· Affinity chromatography is applied for the purification of a wide range of enzymes and other proteins like immunoglobulins.