Merits (Advantages) of a Thermal Power Plant
1. The unit capacity of a thermal power plant is more. The cost of unit decreases with the increase in unit capacity.
2. Life of the plant is more (25-30 years) as compared to diesel plant (2-5 years).
3. Repair and maintenance cost is low when compared with diesel plant.
4. Initial cost of the plant is less than nuclear plants.
5. Suitable for varying load conditions.
6. No harmful radioactive wastes are produced as in the case of nuclear plant.
7. Unskilled operators can operate the plant.
8. The power generation does not depend on water storage.
9. There are no transmission losses since they are located near load centres.
Demerits of thermal power plants
1. Thermal plant are less efficient than diesel plants
2. Starting up the plant and bringing into service takes more time.
3. Cooling water required is more.
4. Space required is more
5. Storage required for the fuel is more
6. Ash handling is a big problem.
7. Not economical in areas which are remote from coal fields
8. Fuel transportation, handling and storage charges are more
9. Number of persons for operating the plant is more than that of nuclear plants. This increases operation cost.
10. For large units, the capital cost is more. Initial expenditure on structural materials, piping, storage mechanisms is more.
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.