• Physical geography is the branch of geography dealing with the different physical aspects such as landforms, drainage, climate, soil, natural vegetation etc.
• Tamil Nadu is broadly classified into three physical divisions namely mountains (Western and Eastern Ghats), plateaus (Bharamahal, Coimbatore and Madurai) and plains (inland and coastal).
• Cauvery, Palar, Ponnaiyar, Vaigai and Thamirabarani are the major rivers of Tamil Nadu.
• Soils of Tamil Nadu are classified into five types according to their characteristics. They are alluvial, black, red, laterite and saline.
• The forest cover of Tamil Nadu is 20.21% of its geographical area. Evergreen, deciduous, mangrove, thorny and montane temperate are its major forest types.
• Disaster Risk Reduction is reducing risks through systematic efforts.
• Natural disasters are earthquakes, volcanoes, landslides, cyclones, droughts and forest fires.