Plant Physiology (Functional Organisation)
Plant Growth and Development
1. Select the wrong statement from the following:
a. Formative phase of the cells retain the capability of cell division.
b. In elongation phase development of central vacuole takes place.
c. In maturation phase thickening and differentiation takes place.
d. In maturation phase, the cells grow further.
2. If the diameter of the pulley is 6 inches, length of pointer is 10 inches and distance travelled by pointer is 5 inches. Calculate the actual growth in length of plant.
b. 6 inches
c. 12 inches
d. 30 inches
e. 15 inches
Diameter of pulley = 6 inches
Radius of pulley = 3 inches
Actual growth in length = [Distance travelled by the pointer x Radius of the pulley] / Length of the pointer
= [5 x 3] / 10 = 1.5
3. In unisexual plants, sex can be changed by the application of
4. Select the correctly matched one
A) Human urine i) Auxin –B
B) Corn gram oil ii) GA3
C) Fungus iii) Abscisic acid II
D) Herring fish iv) Kinitin sperm
E) Unripe maize v) Auxin A grains
F) Young cotton vi) Zeatin bolls
a) A-iii, B-iv, C-v, D-vi, E-i, F-ii,
b) A-v, B-i, C-ii, D-iv, E-vi, F-iii,
c) A-iii, B-v, C-vi, D-i, E-ii, F-iv,
d) A-ii, B-iii, C-v, D-vi, E-iv, F-i
5. Seed dormancy allows the plants to
a. overcome unfavourable climatic conditions
b. develop healthy seeds
c. reduce viability
d. prevent deterioration of seeds
6. Which one of the following method are used to break the seed dormancy?
d) All the above.
7. What are the parameters used to measure growth of plants?
8. What is plasticity?
9. Write the physiological effects of Cytokinins.
10. Describe the mechanism of photoperiodic induction of flowering.
11. Give a brief account on Programmed Cell Death (PCD)
12. What are the physiological effects of plants facing drought condition?
13. Explain the mechanism of biotic stress.