Explore the Computer
In the lower left-hand corner of the windows screen is the Start button. When you click on the button, the Start menu will appear. Using the start menu, you can start any application.
At the bottom of the screen is a horizontal bar called the taskbar. This bar contains (from left to right) the Start button, shortcuts to various programs, minimized programs and in the extreme right corner you can see the system tray which consist of volume control, network, date and time etc. Next to the Start button is the quick Launch Toolbar which contains task for frequently used applications.
By clicking this icon, the user can see the disk drivers mounted in the system. In windows XP, Vista, this icon is called "My computer" in Windows 8 and 10, it is called "This PC". The functionality of computer icon reamins the same in all versions of windows as shown in Figure 5.14.
Most of the applications installed on your computer are available through the start menu. Depending on the system setup, the applications in the Start menu varies. To start an application:
1. Click the Start button and then point to All Programs. The Program menu appears. (Figure 5.15)
2. Point to the group that contains the application you want to start, and then click the application name.
3. You can also open an application by clicking Run on the Start menu, and the name of the application. (Figure 5.16)
4. To quit a application, click the Close button in the upper right corner of the application window. (Figure 5.17)
5. You can also quit an application by clicking on File → Exit and File → Close option in Windows 7. (Figure 5.17)