Creating a new presentation
You can create a presentation by any one of the following methods .
1. By selecting an Empty presentation
2. By selecting From template
3. By selecting from Open existing presentation
1. Select Empty presentation under Type. It creates a presentation from scratch.
2. Click Next. The Presentation Wizard step 2 appears. Figure 8.4 shows the Wizard.
3. Choose a design under Select a slide design. The slide design section gives you two main choices: Presentation Backgrounds and Presentations.
4. Each one has a list of choices for slide designs. If you want to use one of these other than the <Original>, click it to select it. The preview of the same will be shown in the preview pane.
5. <Original> is an empty background.
You can also select among three 8. Click Next. The Presentation Wizard step 3 appears (Figure 8.7). In this predefined Presentations: <Original>, Introducing a New Product, and step, you can choose the desired slide Recommendation of a Strategy. transition from the Effect drop-down (Figure 8.6).
6. Click an item to see a preview of the the transition between the different slide design in the Preview window.
7. Select how the presentation will be Speed drop-down menu. Medium is a good choice. Click Create. A new used under Select an output medium.
Generally, presentations are created for computer screen display, so select Screen option. (Figure 8.6).
8. Click Next. The Presentation Wizard step 3 appears (Figure 8.7). In this step, you can choose the desired slide transition from the Effect drop-down menu. Select the desired speed for the transition between the different slides in the presentation from the Speed drop-down menu. Medium is a good choice. Click Create. A new presentation is created. (Figure 8.8)
• If you choose the option From template, it uses a template design already created as the basis for a new presentation. The wizard changes to show a list of available templates.
Choose the template that you want. (Figure 8.9).
• Introducing a New Product and Recommendation of a Strategy are pre-packaged presentation templates.
• If you choose the option Open existing presentation, it helps in continuing the work on a previously created presentation.
• You have to open a presentation already prepared by clicking Open button. The wizard changes to show a list of existing presentations, from which you can choose the one that you want. (Figure 8.10).
Various ways of Starting Impress:
You can start Impress in various ways.
1. You can select the presentation from the system menu or the OpenOffice. org Quickstarter.
2. Or you can click the triangle to the right of the New icon on the main toolbar and select Presentation from the drop-down menu (Figure 8.11).
3. Or else, choose File -> New -> Presentation. (Figure 8.12).