Answer the following questions:
1. Write the IUPAC names for the following complexes.
i) Na2 [Ni( EDTA)]
ii) [Ag (CN)2]
iii) [Co(en)3]2 (SO4)3
iv) [Co(ONO) (NH3)5]2+
v) [Pt(NH3)2 Cl(NO2)]
2. Write the formula for the following coordination compounds.
c) pentaamminenitrito −κ −N -cobalt(III)ion
3. Arrange the following in order of increasing molar conductivity
i) Mg [Cr (NH3) (Cl)5 ]
ii) [ Cr (NH3)5 Cl ]3 [CoF6]2
iii) [Cr (NH3)3 Cl3 ]
4. Ni2+ is identified using alcoholic solution of dimethyl glyoxime. Write the structural formula for the rosy red precipitate of a complex formed in the reaction.
5. [CuCl4 ]2− exists while [CuI4 ]2− does not exist why?
6. Calculate the ratio of [Ag+]/[Ag(NH3)2] in 0.2 M solution of NH3. If the stability constant for the complex [Ag(NH3)2] is 1 7 x 107.
7. Give an example of coordination compound used in medicine and two examples of biologically important coordination compounds.
8. Based on VB theory explain why [Cr (NH3)6]3+ is paramagnetic, while [Ni (CN)4]2- diamagnetic
9. Draw all possible geometrical isomers of the complex [Co( en)2 Cl2]+ and identify the optically active isomer.
10. [Ti ( H2O)6]3+ is coloured, while [Sc ( H2O)6 ]3+ is colourless- explain.
12. Give an example for complex of the type [Ma2 b2c2 ] where a, b, c are monodentate ligands and give the possible isomers.
12. Give one test to differentiate [ Co (NH3)5Cl] SO4 and [ Co( NH3)5 SO4 ] Cl.
13. In an octahedral crystal field, draw the figure to show splitting of d orbitals.
14. What is linkage isomerism? Explain with an example.
15. Write briefly about the applications of coordination compounds in volumetric analysis.
16. Classify the following ligand based on the number of donor atoms.
a) NH3 b) en c) ox2- d) triaminotriethylamine e) pyridine
17. Give the difference between double salts and coordination compounds.
18. Write the postulates of Werner’s theory.
19. [Ni ( CN)4 ]2− is diamagnetic, while [ NiCl4 ]2− is paramagnetic , explain using crystal field theory.
20. Why tetrahedral complexes do not exhibit geometrical isomerism.
21. Explain optical isomerism in coordination compounds with an example.
22. What are hydrate isomers? Explain with an example.
23. What is crystal field splitting energy?
24. What is crystal field stabilization energy (CFSE) ?
25. A solution of [Ni (H2O)6]2+ is green, whereas a solution of [Ni (CN)4 ]2+ is colorless - Explain
26. Discuss briefly the nature of bonding in metal carbonyls.
27. What is the coordination entity formed when excess of liquid ammonia is added to an aqueous solution of copper sulphate?
29. What are the limitations of VB theory?
30. Write the oxidation state, coordination number , nature of ligand, magnetic property and electronic configuration in octahedral crystal field for the complex K4[Mn (CN)6].
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.