Choose the Correct Answers (Pure Science Group)
Botany : Environmental Issues
1. Which of the following would most likely help to slow down the greenhouse effect.
a) Converting tropical forests into grazing land for cattle.
b) Ensuring that all excess paper packaging is buried to ashes.
c) Redesigning landfill dumps to allow methane to be collected.
d) Promoting the use of private rather than public transport.
2. With respect to Eichhornia
Statement A: It drains off oxygen from water and is seen growing in standing water. Statement B: It is an indigenous species of our country.
a) Statement A is correct and Statement B is wrong.
b) Both Statements A and B are correct.
c) Statement A is correct and Statement B is wrong.
d) Both statements A and B are wrong.
3. Find the wrongly matched pair.
a) Endemism - Species confined to a region and not found anywhere else.
b) Hotspots - Western ghats
c) Ex-situ Conservation - Zoological parks
d) Sacred groves - Saintri hills of Rajasthan
e) Alien sp. Of India - Water hyacinth
4. Depletion of which gas in the atmosphere can lead to an increased incidence of skin cancer?
c) Nitrous oxide
5. One green house gas contributes 14% of total global warming and another contributes 6%. These are respectively identified as
a) N20 and CO2
b) CFCs and N20
c) CH4 and CO2
d) CH4 and CFCS
6. One of the chief reasons among the following for the depletion in the number of species making endangered is
a) over hunting and poaching
b) green house effect
c) competition and predation
d) habitat destruction
7. Deforestation means
a) growing plants and trees in an area where there is no forest
b) growing plants and trees in an area where the forest is removed
c) growing plants and trees in a pond
d) removal of plants and trees
8. Deforestation does not lead to
a) Quick nutrient cycling
b) soil erosion
c) alternation of local weather conditions
d) Destruction of natural habitat weather conditions
9. The unit for measuring ozone thickness
10. The lake which was built in British era and is near the Indian Army Base
a) Veeranam lake
b) Maduranthagam lake
c) Sholavaram lake
d) Chembrambakkam lake
11. People’s movement for the protection of environment in Sirsi of Karnataka is
a) Chipko movement
b) Amirtha Devi Bishwas movement
c) Appiko movement
d) None of the above
12. The invasive species introduced in India from Philippines
13. Cash crops like sesame and pearl millet are inhibited by the invasive plant
14. The plants which are grown in silivpasture system are
a) Sesbania and Acacia
b) Solenum and Crotalaria
c) Clitoria and Begonia
d) Teak and sandal
15. IUCN red list categories has developed criteria for threatened species. The criteria ‘C’ refers to
a) Geographic range
b) Quantitiative analysis
c) Small population size and decline
d) population reduction