Uses of Buffers
· Buffer solutions are necessary to maintain the pH range of biological fluids. A buffer of carbonic acid (H2CO3–) and bicarbonate (HCO3–) is present in blood plasma, to maintain a pH between 7.35 and 7.45.
· Enzymes are functional only under narrow pH range.
· In Industries, buffer solutions are used in fermentation processes and in setting the correct conditions for dyes used in coloring fabrics.
· They are also used for the calibration of pH meters.
· Buffers are mainly used in clinical and research laboratories. Example., phosphate buffered saline (PBS) at pH 7.4.
A pH meter is used to measure the pH of a solution. It consists of a voltmeter attached to a pH-responsive electrode and a reference electrode. The difference in electrical potential produced by hydrogen ions between pH electrode and a reference electrode is measured. A pH meter is utilized in different laboratories and industries to measure pH.