· To develop skills in sewing the salwar.
· To learn the different methods of constructing salwars.
Salwar is worn by Indian women since early days. Today salwars are designed in various styles to suit the current trend and culture. Trousers, pants and pleated pants are mostly prefered for the pants. Waist bands are attached on the waist line with gatherings / elastic for the comfort of the wearers. Waist band are added both for functional and decorative purposes.
Measuring Tools - Measuring Tape, Scale.
Drawing Tools - Brown Sheet, Bell Pin, Table, Pencil.
Marking Tools - Tailor’s Chalk, Pencil.
Cutting Tools - Scissors, Seam Rippers, Fabric Shears.
Stitching Tools - Thread, Hand Needle, Sewing Machine.
Ironing Tools - Ironing Table, Iron Box.
Fasteners Attachments - Cords / Tapes.
Decorating Items - Collar Canvas.
Cottong Fabric, Polene, Fancy Materials, Floral Designed Cloths.
Height - 100 cm + Seam Allowance – 5 cm
Seat Circumference - 80 cm
2 meters – 2 1/2 meter.
ABCD - Rectangle
AC = BD - 1/4 Seat Circumference (20 cm)
A1 – A = A2 - C - 25 cm
AB = CD - 75 cm
CE - 13 cm
FD - 6 cm
A1 A = A2 C - Band Piece
ACEFB - Separate Piece.
Waist Band - A1, A2, C, A
Leg Pattern - CEFBA
Fabric should be folded on lengthwise centre fold for cutting.
Place the pattern on the fabric and leave suﬃcient fabric for seam allowance and cut.
Band Piece - 1
Leg Piece - 2
· Join the side seams of the salwar.
· Gather the bottom of the salwar at the hem line to suit the leg circumference or according to the style.
· Finish the bottom with a binding.
· In case gathers are not introduced in the style then finish the hem line of the salwar with a facing. A suitable canvas piece can be place in between the facing for stiffness.
· Make a 2 or 3 rows of stitches for decoratio at the bottom of the salwar.
· At the front part of waist line, leave a suitable hole for openingand fold and machine.
· The hole must be finished with button hole stitches.
· Insert a cord into the waist band.
· Remove unwanted threads.
· Insert cord into the waist band, iron the stitched garment and fold neatly.