v Pseudo code consists of short, readable and formally styled English languages used for explain an algorithm.
v It does not include details like variable declaration, subroutines.
v It is easier to understand for the programmer or non programmer to understand the general working of the program, because it is not based on any programming language.
v It gives us the sketch of the program before actual coding.
v It is not a machine readable
v Pseudo code can’t be compiled and executed.
v There is no standard syntax for pseudo code.
v Write one statement per line
v Capitalize initial keyword
v Indent to hierarchy
v End multiline structure
v Keep statements language independent
The following gives common keywords used in pseudocodes.
1. //: This keyword used to represent a comment.
2. BEGIN,END: Begin is the first statement and end is the last statement.
3. INPUT, GET, READ: The keyword is used to inputting data.
4. COMPUTE, CALCULATE: used for calculation of the result of the given expression. 5. ADD, SUBTRACT, INITIALIZE used for addition, subtraction and initialization.
6. OUTPUT, PRINT, DISPLAY: It is used to display the output of the program.
7. IF, ELSE, ENDIF: used to make decision.
8. WHILE, ENDWHILE: used for iterative statements.
9. FOR, ENDFOR: Another iterative incremented/decremented tested automatically.
Syntax for if else:
IF (a>b) THEN
DISPLAY a is greater
DISPLAY b is greater
Syntax for For:
FOR( start-value to end-value) DO
FOR (i<=n) DO
Syntax for While:
WHILE (condition) DO
v Pseudo is independent of any language; it can be used by most programmers.
v It is easy to translate pseudo code into a programming language.
v It can be easily modified as compared to flowchart.
v Converting a pseudo code to programming language is very easy as compared with converting a flowchart to programming language.
v It does not provide visual representation of the program’s logic.
v There are no accepted standards for writing pseudo codes.
v It cannot be compiled nor executed.
v For a beginner, It is more difficult to follow the logic or write pseudo code as compared to flowchart.
Copyright © 2018-2020 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.