Points to remember
* An atom is the smallest particle of a chemical element that retains its chemical properties.
* They are very tiny compared to other particles.
* Atoms are too small to be seen by the naked eye or even through microscope.
* An atom consists mostly of empty space.
* Atoms of same element are identical, and different elements differ.
* An atom consists of a dense nucleus of positively-charged protons and electrically-neutral neutrons.
* The protons and neutrons are called nucleons.
* The protons, neutrons and electrons are denoted by p,n,e respectively.
* An atom is electrically neutral. Atoms contain equal number of protons and electrons.
* Atomic number is the number of protons in an atom.
* The total number of protons and neutrons present in the nucleus of an atom is the mass number.
* Valency is defined as the combining capacity of an element.
Let’s build an atom.
Step 1: Use the URL to reach stimulation page. Click play button to launch the simulation.
Step 2: Click on the”ATOM” , a new window will be open. Drag the particles (Protons, Neutrons and Electrons) from the baskets which is at the bottom of the display.
Step 3: You can observe the changes in ‘Elements, Net charge and Mass number’ at the right side windows.
Step 4: Click on the ‘Symbol” at the bottom. Drag the particles and get the Symbol of the element.
Step 5: Click on the”GAME” and play the games.
Atomic Structure URL:
*Pictures are indicative only
*If browser requires, allow Flash Player or Java Script to load the page.