Carbon and its Compounds
Points to Remember
· A group or class of organic compounds related to each other by a general molecular formula constitutes homologous series.
· The IUPAC name of the any organic compound consist of three parts. ROOTWORD, PREFIX and / or SUFFIX.
· Functional group may be defined as an atom or group of atom or reactive part which is responsible for the characteristic properties of the compounds
· Ethanoic acid is most commonly known as acetic acid and belongs to a group of acids called carboxylic acids.
· Acetic acid is present in many fruits and it renders a sour taste to those fruits.
· Ethanol or ethyl alcohol or simply alcohol is one of the most important members of the family of alcohols.
· The slow chemical change that takes place in complex organic compounds by the action of enzymes leading to the formation of simple molecules is called fermentation.
· Soaps are sodium or potassium salts of some long chain carboxylic acids.
· Detergents are sodium salts of sulphonic acids. Thus instead of –COOH group in soaps, detergents contain –SO3H group