GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS OF ORGANIC COMPOUNDS
Everything in this world has unique character, similarly organic compounds are unique in their characteristics. Some of them are given below:
· Organic compounds have a high molecular weight and a complex structure.
· They are mostly insoluble in water, but soluble in organic solvents such as ether, carbon tetrachloride, toluene, etc.
· They are highly inflammable in nature
· Organic compounds are less reactive compared to inorganic compounds. Hence, the reactions involving organic compounds proceed at slower rates.
· Mostly organic compounds form covalent bonds in nature.
· They have lower melting point and boiling point when compared to inorganic compounds
· They exhibit the phenomenon of isomerism, in which a single molecular formula represents several organic compounds that differ in their physical and chemical properties
· They are volatile in nature.
· Organic compounds can be prepared in the laboratory