Peripheral arterial cannulation
This procedure is indicated when repeated arterial blood sampling or arte-rial pressure monitoring is required. The most common arteries used are those described for peripheral arterial blood sampling.
As for IV cannula.
• Identify selected artery by method described above and follow the procedure described, but use a cannula instead of a needle.
• When blood flashes back into the hub, advance the cannula smoothly over the stylet and into the artery.
• Remove the stylet and immediately stop the bleeding by applying pressure over the artery and the tip of the catheter with your finger.
• Connect a 3-way tap that has been previously flushed with heparinized saline. Samples can be obtained from the unused ports.
• Flush the arterial line with heparinized saline (1U/mL) and connect the saline infusion line at 1–2mL/h (1U heparin/mL).
• A pressure transducer may be attached to continuously monitor arterial BP.