National Human Rights Commission
The National Human Rights Commission is an autonomous body constituted on 12th October 1993 under the protection of Human rights Act,1993. It consists of a chairman and few other members. NHRC is responsible for the protection and promotion of human rights in India defined by the Act as rights relating to life, liberty, equality and dignity of the individual guaranteed by the Constitution or embodied in the international covenants.
· To inquire into the violation of human rights or negligence in the prevention of such violation by a public servant
· To intervene in court proceedings relating to human rights
· To undertake and promote research in the field of human rights
· To engage in human rights education among various sections of society
· To encourage the effects of NGOs and institutions working in the field of human rights.